Got a picky eater? These kid friendly delicious muffins are 100% whole wheat, refined-sugar-free, and packed with fresh spinach!
In fact, they are so tasty I had to pop them straight in the freezer so there would be some left for lunches.
Don't be fooled that their gorgeous green colour will tarnish the flavour - the greens don’t make waves at all, taste-wise. Instead they taste sweet with a hint of cinnamon and banana, keeping them deliciously moist.
And if that's not enough, you can entice your fussy ones into eating their favourite green characters super food - Hulk muffins anyone? Popeye, Kermet the Frog, the Green Lantern or Shrek! Let their imaginations run wild.
Best of all they freeze really well and are perfect for throwing in the lunch box.
I hope you love them as much as us - Enjoy!
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 18 - 22 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and spray muffin pan with cooking spray (alternatively you can use silicone muffin cups sprayed with cooking spray).
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
3. Blend the wet ingredients in a blender or food processor until completely pureed.
4. Pour the puree into the dry ingredient bowl, and fold together gently until just combined. (Do not over-mix.)
5. Spoon the batter into the muffin pan, and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until the muffins are firm to touch on top, but not quite browning.
6. Cool most or all of the way before serving.
** please note that this recipe is for large muffins which will take about 18-22 minutes to cook. If cooking mini muffins reduce the cook time to approximately 15 minutes and keep an eye on the tops so they don't quite brown but bounce back when touched.
** These Sweet Spinach Muffins freeze beautifully. Simply pop them in an airtight container or bag in the freezer and when required pop them straight in the lunch box. They will help keep the lunchbox temperature down but will be defrosted by snack time.
Take a look at our Litter-free Lunch Boxes here
** Recipe credit to Super Healthy Kids